How to Obtain a Replacement MSO or VIN for Your Trailer

At Felling Trailers, we often get requests from a Dealer or Enduser for a duplicate or Replacement MSO or VIN (Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin) so that a trailer can be licensed. We also get requests for a replacement VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) tag when one has been damaged, lost, or has faded too much over time and can not be read anymore.

Below are the processes to obtain a replacement MSO or VIN tag, and how to get a GVWR Derated and what Felling Trailers needs from the Dealer or Enduser to be able to issue one to them.

How to Obtain a Duplicate VIN Tag or MSO for your Trailer

Felling Trailers MSO Example, replacement MSO or VIN

Sample Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)

To get a duplicate VIN tag because you cannot read it, or need a new one because it was taken off, the following is needed:

  1. Copy of the title or registration to show ownership.
  2. Duplicate VIN tag document filled out to completion, along with being notarized.
  3. Purchase Order Number (PO#) for the $60 invoice if they (the Dealer or Business) need a specific one.
  4. Call with a Credit Card number to pay the $60 invoice to get the VIN tag sent out.

Get your Duplicate VIN Tag Request Form here.

To get a duplicate MSO (Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin), the following is needed:

  1. The original dealer you bought the trailer from has to request this
  2. They then will have to fill out a duplicate MSO agreement, along with being notarized.
  3. The dealer will have to provide a PO# for the $60 fee that will be invoiced if they need a specific one.
  4. The dealer will have to call with a credit card number to pay for the invoice before Felling Trailers will send the MSO out.
  5. If the dealer you originally purchased the trailer from is no longer in business, we, unfortunately, cannot make up a duplicate MSO.

Get your Duplicate MSO Request Form here.

How to get a GVWR Derated on your Trailer

To get a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) Derated when the trailer hasn’t been licensed, the following is needed:

  1. The original MSO will have to be mailed back to the attention of Kiley Hooper.
  2. Also, when sending back the original MSO, a typed letter of what you would like the trailer GVWR changed to.
  3. There is no charge if the original MSO comes back to Felling Trailers.

To get a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) Derated when the trailer has been licensed, the following is needed:

  1. The customer will need to email, and they will need to state the VIN number what the GVWR is at and what they would like it changed to.
  2. A corrected MSO will then be sent out to the original dealer on the MSO.
  3. Once the customer has registered their new GVWR with the state, they will have to email a copy of the receipt from the motor vehicle department proving that the corrected MSO has been submitted.
  4. Once Felling Trailers has received the receipt from the motor vehicle they will have to fill out a duplicate VIN tag form, along with being notarized.
  5. They will need to email back the form, and a fee of $60 will be charged, so if they need a specific Purchase Order Number (PO#) that will need to be provided.
  6. Once the fee has been invoiced for the $60 dollars, they can call with a credit card to pay.
Felling Trailer VIN Tag Sample Image, replacement MSO or VIN

Sample Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Tag on Trailer

Commonly asked Questions about VIN, MSO Replacements

Q. Can a copy of the Bill of Sale be used as proof of ownership? Can this be a photocopy or picture?

A. Yes, either is fine.

Q. Who do they contact at Felling to handle this process?

A. Kiley Hoopere at

Q. Are there fees associated with getting a new VIN tag/MSO?

A. Yes, $60 dollar charge for each tag/MSO requested.

Q. How long does the process take to receive the VIN tag/MSO?

A. We can usually get it made up the day it is requested and sent out if paid right away.

Q. If the VIN tag is missing or can’t be read, how can the trailer be identified?

A. There should be a reference number somewhere on the trailer; this is typically welded on the frame of the trailer. Some older trailers had identification numbers stamped into the frame on the tongue/hitch area.

Q. How long has Felling Trailer been using Reference numbers? Where are they typically found on a trailer?

A. They are welded on the frame, typically on the underside, since 2012 or so.

Q. Before reference numbers what did the customer do?

A. VIN numbers were stamped on the headboard.

Q. Can we assist customer’s in getting VIN tags for non-Felling trailers?

A. No, we can only assist in getting VIN tags for trailers from Felling Trailers.

Q. Can I get an MSO, if the trailer has already been titled and sold to multiple different people?

A: Unfortunately, no, once the trailer has been titled we cannot do anything. In this case, you would have to contact the state the trailer was titled in and request a duplicate title.

We hope that this answers some of your questions on how to obtain a Replacement MSO or VIN tag, or get a GVWR Derated for your trailer.  If you still have questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Kiley Hooper at  or (888) 335-5464. Please browse our website for more information about Felling Trailers and Trailer Parts.


  1. Karsten Brinson says:

    After having a trailer derated., Can you rate it again at it’s original higher rating?

    • Felling Trailers says:

      Hello Karsten,

      Yes, you can, however, you will have to go through the whole process again as you would to derate the trailer.

      Felling Trailers

  2. Patrick Gause says:

    I bought an enclosed trailer from a friend who bought it from a construction company they lost the title and I can read the vin to get it insured what do I do

    • Felling Trailers says:

      Hello Patrick,

      We would suggest contacting your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and file for a lost title. The DMV should be able to assist you with further any questions.

      Felling Trailers

Speak Your Mind